الأربعاء، 2 أكتوبر 2013

Departure and Arrival

My flight to Doha is on Emirates, departing from the new Tom Bradley Terminal. I was accompanied to the airport by my dear wife and daughter. There was a short wait to check my bags, and I delayed my entry into the security check as long as I could.

At check in signs were posted that there was no food or beverage beyond the security check. Distressing, because I hoped for a beverage to relax before boarding. Once through (easily) I noticed that there is a great variety of eateries inside, but they are not yet open. Only one. A bistro style cafe called Vino Volo. Cabernet, $15.

The aircraft is a B777 300. Everyone boarding passes through the first class section, where passengers are cocooned into little reclining stalls that have every possible amenity at hand. Every seat on the aircraft has seat-back video, telephone and USB connector. Two aisles, eleven seats across.

It is a polar route to Abu Dhabi, passing over Greenland. The "ICE" system (information, communication, and entertainment) includes movies, TV, music, and news. I'm listening to the Beatles. Rubber Soul.

Emirates flight attendants are everywhere. According to the announcement, more than sixteen languages are available. They have just handed out little zippered cases containing a travel toothbrush, toothpaste and hand towel. It is one hour into the day-long flight.

On the ICE is a category called "boxed sets" that includes lots of Beatles, Bowie, Dylan, Hendrix and Zeppelin. Floyd, Stones U2. Now I'm into Beggars Banquet. I chose an aisle seat, to make it easier to get up and move around. Seat 43C. Luckily seat 43B is unoccupied, providing a spaciousness that most of the other economy passengers do not have. The beverage server has just passed by, and I'm now enjoying a 2012 Rasteau (red wine). Everything is free, except champagne. Dinner (or lunch) will be served soon. One of my favorite Stones tunes is now playing. Midnight Rambler.

6:50 p.m. (Pacific Time)
We are somewhere over Canada. Meal service has begun. BBQ chicken is the entree. Smells delicious. I wonder if there will be more hot towels to follow. Waiting for the meal, I looked over the printed entertainment guide. It is awesome! Hundreds if films. Thousands of songs, Thousands.

8:23 p.m.
Just finished dinner. Excellent meal, excellent service. I'm listening to a Van Morrison playlist. 34 songs.  Right now is "Moondance". A classic and also a favorite. The plane is somewhere over the North Atlantic. The lights have been dimmed. The ceiling of the cabin is backlighted with little pin holes like a night time sky. Cool. Oh, yeah. Another Rasteau with dinner. Time to relax....

Sleeping is on and off. I'm thankful for the earplugs and sleep mask. One of those horseshoe-shaped pillows would have been great. The little one they provide is supremely inadequate. I must have dozed for several hours. It is now past two a.m. Pacific time, ten hours into the flight. Passing over Scandinavia, and less than six hours to Abu Dhabi. Back into daylight outside, but the lights are still dim, any many are still sleeping. I will try again.

4:20 a.m. Sleep was elusive even though I listened to an hour-long in-flight sleep solutions recording, two times. We are passing over the Black Sea, and it seems incredible that the landing in Dubai is still three hours away.

5:30 a.m. I had a slight headache, I would say from the noise and intermittent sleep. When the flight attendants brought water and fruit juice down the aisle, I asked for relief and received two Panadol tablets. Hot towels again. They've started serving the "morning" meal. It will be 7 p.m. Local time when we land. Listening to Santana's "Supernatural". Now passing over Baghdad.

7:26 a.m. Omelet, fruit, potatoes, juice, croissant. I passed on the coffee. I need to sleep when I get to my final destination, the Concorde Hotel in Doha. Now 40 minutes until touchdown in Dubai. After six in the evening there.

On the plane in Dubai, waiting to disembark. Long line down the aisle. I'm in the 44th row. On our initial approach, when less than 100 meters from the ground, the pilot pulled up in a power climb, later explaining that another aircraft had not cleared the runway. We circled around, providing a marvelous view of the city as the plane banked to the left, and landed without incident.

Passing time at Gate B22 of the Dubai International Airport. The flight to Doha leaves at 10:15, and there's a one hour time difference.

Arriving in Doha, I was confused when we exited the plane by stair to busses, for transfer to the terminal. Later I learned that the new International Airport is not finished. Completion is scheduled for 2015. Inside were two very long lines, one for GCC countries, one for everyone else. At the end of the line, my passport and business visa were examined, and photo was taken. Next I recovered my checked baggage, and towed it through the terminal, past customs inspectors, finally reaching the public concourse. Even though it was eleven o'clock, there was crowd of folks waiting behind a glass wall, including dozens of drivers holding signs for their intended clientele. I walked along slowly; scanning each one until finally, near the end of the line, a sign with the KEO logo caught my eye. I nodded at the gentleman, who eagerly accepted the larger suitcase, and towed it to his car.

It was a short drive to the Doha Concorde, a marvelously appointed business hotel, where the check in was swift. I gratefully allowed the attendant to bring my bags to room 629, tipping 10 rials, my first transaction in the foreign (to me) currency. After a quick, hot shower, I climbed into the king size bed, twenty one hours after departing from LAX. 

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق