السبت، 5 أكتوبر 2013

Jet Lag

Saturday Afternoon

I've walked from my hotel, the Dovenpick, across the street and down a bit to the Hilton Doha. Another marvelously appointed accommodation. This is not my first visit to the Zawaya Lounge. Through the window there is an excellent view of the Doha bay and "The Pearl", that man-made peninsula were dozens of towers (hotels?) ring two circular marinas, much of which is also still under construction.
I am not, however, here for the view. The Zawaya is the closest place where a thirsty American can get a nice, cold beer. Outside, the temperature is 104°, and humidity a dry 15%. Also on the flat screen above me is English Premier League soccer. Manchester City vs. Everton. The score is 1-1. Appropriate considering that "futbol" is the reason I am here.

I digress. This post is about jet-lag and adjusting to the time difference between Qatar and my home in California. Doha is half a world away, ten hours ahead of Pacific time. 3:30 in the afternoon here is 5:30 a.m. there. Because of that offset, there are two narrow bands of time when direct communication is possible: morning and evening. I've just set up a Google+ Hangout and this morning enjoyed a long conversation with my wife back home. (MCI just scored. Now it's 2-1.) 

During the week, I start work at eight; that's 10 p.m. there. I get off at five; 7 a.m. there. That's difficult for both of us. In Qatar, as in other Islamic countries, the weekend is Friday and Saturday; the work week begins on Sunday, which further narrows the opportunity for direct conversation. I'm thankful for email, which bridges the time gap. Technology is my livelihood, and also my savoir right now.

This is my seventh day here in Doha. Anyone who believes this is a hostile environment is completely mistaken. I have the support of my new employer, KEO International, my professional colleagues, family and friends back home, and last but not least, a nice cold brew to help me feel completely at home.

(Manchester wins, 3 to 1.) 

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق